At Arca, we pull carbon dioxide from the air and store it permanently as rock. To do this at scale, we partner with the minerals industry to implement our technology at mines. These are the same mines that are producing the minerals necessary for the transition to a clean energy future. Arca’s founders are leaders in the field of carbon capture in mine tailings with more than 20 years of experience in innovation and research.
We believe that by working with nature, not against it, we can achieve carbon dioxide removal on the scale needed to secure thriving and abundant life on Earth for generations to come. If that resonates, we want to hear from you. We’re building a team of sharp, mission-driven, and collaborative individuals who take pride in using their skills to contribute to a sustainable future.
As Senior Scientist, you will help chart the path for research and development (R&D) activities at Arca, utilizing your pre-existing knowledge of geochemical processes inherent to ex-situ carbon mineralization. You will work closely with the Heads of Technology and Science to plan the R&D activities and lead a team of scientists and engineers to execute the plan.
If you are passionate about advancing processes, fostering innovation, and promoting a strong safety culture, then this could be the perfect position for you.
- Develop and execute the R&D program in close collaboration with the Arca leadership team
- Liaise with Head of External Affairs to identify and apply for non-dilutive grant applications applicable to R&D
- Manage R+D staff in the laboratory (5-10 employees)
- Set up and perform laboratory experiments and field-scale demonstrations
- In collaboration with the larger R&D team, improve upon existing operating procedures for experimental and analytical work
- Promote a strong safety culture in the R&D team
- Synthesize and present key results to internal and external stakeholders, both technical and non-technical.
Requirements of the role
- Ph.D. (or Master’s in Science or Engineering with significant work experience) in Geochemistry, Geology, Materials Science, Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, or related field
- Strong working knowledge of ex-situ carbon mineralization
- Experience managing teams
- Be adaptable to a growing team
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Office suite, Python (or similar coding language)
- Attention to detail and excellent laboratory ethic
- Capability to learn new experimental and analytical techniques quickly and comprehensively
- Demonstrate exceptional leadership and communication (written and verbal) and team-building skills
- Commitment to Inclusion, Diversity, and Equity goals
- Experience in techno-economic and life cycle analyses
- Understanding of the mining industry
- Technical knowledge of various carbon dioxide removal pathways
We’re looking for individuals who…
- Are optimistic we can make an impact in the fight against climate change
- Say yes before no when confronted with ideas and situations that challenge their ideas of what’s possible
- Thrive in a collaborative and fast-paced working environment
What we offer at Arca
- A competitive salary
- Generous holidays
- Flexible working policy
- Flex Fridays
- Stock options
- 100% paid by employer comprehensive health benefits package including medical, dental, and life, plus Health and Wellness spending account and employee assistance program.
- A fun and diverse environment focused on making the biggest impact possible on climate change
At Arca, We believe that our commitment to diversity and inclusion is not only the right thing to do but also essential for our success as a company. We welcome and encourage all qualified candidates to apply for our open positions, regardless of their background, race, color, age, national origin, ancestry, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, status as a veteran, and basis of disability.