Airhive is a Direct Air Capture (DAC) technology company based in London, UK. We use a proprietary process based on fluidisation and a mixed metal oxide sorbent to achieve highly competitive energy and cost performances for removing carbon dioxide from atmospheric air. We are working on core process and materials R&D in our lab in White City, and currently planning two fully funded pilot projects with academic and industrial partners.
Senior Project Engineer
The Senior Project Engineer (SPE) will lead technology development and critical engineering projects for Airhive as we move from R&D to commercial deployment. This will involve, designing and overseeing/delivering feasibility and FEED studies, and leading the implementation of R&D projects, including detailed engineering, construction, testing and commissioning phases. The SPE will also manage and, where required, carry out process and design development, involving conceptual, process optimisation and engineering improvements to existing technology development at Airhive. This requires the implementation of engineering disciplines and well managed interfaces between the practicalities of project budgeting and procurement and technical challenges imposed by engineering and material science. The SPE should feel comfortable with the task of identifying and solving areas of project risk – both technical and delivery related.
This role is a senior client and strategic partner facing role and will help manage and grow underlying project engineering and R&D teams. The SPE will be a leader of Airhive’s safety, health and environment (SHE) policies and protocols, and promote sustainability, team culture and governance missions.
The SPE will report to the CTO.
The work station is Airhive’s laboratory-office in White City, London, with the expectation of travel to pilot sites across the UK and continental Europe when needed.
Key Tasks and Responsibilities
- Lead the design, development and delivery of pre-commercial (i.e. pilot) and early commercial projects, in collaboration with internal (engineering, R&D, operations, leadership) and external stakeholders (engineering consultants, industrial and academic partners)
- Contribute to new project proposals in the areas of scoping, design and budgeting.
- Ensure robust compliance and leadership on SHE requirements and facilitate safety and process reviews.
Key qualifications and characteristics
The ideal candidate will have a relevant postgraduate engineering or technical degree and 5+ years of proven experience in an engineering role and leading technical projects. We are looking for a creative and flexible problem-solver, someone who seeks out responsibility, and is comfortable with the uncertainty and heavy lift that an early stage hardtech startup faces. We are also keen for you to be a strong communicator, someone people enjoy working with, and able to work well with diverse colleagues and stakeholders. If you’re highly motivated by climate action, even better.
For specific skills, we would love to see the following:
- Experience in engineering design and pilot project development (technical, financial and project management), with experience doing it in carbon removal / carbon capture and storage a plus not a necessity.
- Experience managing contracts, design, procurement, and project risks (inc. financial).
- Solid understanding of (but not necessarily expertise) software used for in R&D and process development, including Aspen Plus, FactSage, Ansys, MATLAB, Python, CAD.
- Strong Microsoft Office and Projects skills.
The role will be remunerated commensurate with experience (£60,000+), and will include participation in our employee options scheme. Airhive can also sponsor skilled worker visas if necessary.
Please get in touch along with a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org