Does building a next-generation climate hardware company excite you? If so, read on!
Holocene is pioneering a novel approach to direct air capture (DAC) that can be a robust, scalable, and affordable route to significantly reduce atmospheric CO2 levels and directly combat climate change. Our mission lies in our namesake, the Holocene Epoch, or the last ~12,000 years of Earth’s history where our global climate and atmospheric CO2 levels were remarkably stable and hospitable.
Holocene is a collection of DAC industry veterans and engineers who have designed, built, and scaled the industry over the past decade - starting from the very first DAC plant in the world. We are pioneering a next-generation pathway to deliver well below $100/tonne CO2 removal - the industry ambition - by applying proprietary organic chemistry, scalable industrial technology, and creative engineering solutions.
Why DAC? According to the IPCC, the world's leading scientific voice on climate change, humanity must directly remove more than 10 billion tonnes of carbon dioxide from the atmosphere annually by 2050, and in perpetuity, to meet global net zero ambitions.
For context, that is an industry 1,000,000 times larger than today's current direct air capture industry. We are embarking on a journey to create a net-new, trillion-dollar industry that moves more physical mass than the entire oil & gas industry today. Speed, scale, and safety are paramount.
We are fortunate to be supported by some of the most thoughtful climate programs and funders in the world -- including Breakthrough Energy Fellows, Elon Musk Foundation’s XPRIZE, the U.S. Department of Energy, Frontier Climate (Stripe, Shopify), Oak Ridge National Laboratory, and more.
Senior Chemical Engineer
At Holocene, chemical engineers sit at the forefront of creative and complex system design, critical reaction engineering, and technology development work across all aspects of system scale-up.
As a Senior Chemical Engineer at Holocene, you would be responsible for driving forward the fundamental chemical and process design schema of our DAC facilities. These responsibilities would include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Lead the optimization of Holocene’s technology by developing models to simulate our direct air capture process
- Validate process models by using experimental data and defining experimental campaigns
- Lead R&D efforts for the optimization of our air-liquid contacting structure for CO2 absorption
- Responsible for process development and its scale-up by translating chemical processes to scaled equipment by collaborating closely with external consultants and suppliers
- Manage the technical communication and action items among project entities
- Develop pre-FEED+ process flow diagrams + mass/heat/energy balances for our novel DAC technology
- Develop process engineering documents working with other engineers and designers
- Contribute to techno-economic analysis and life cycle assessments
We value teammates who take ownership of their work, lead with curiosity, are excited to work on fast-paced technology development, love to work in an interdisciplinary team, are comfortable making decisions with incomplete information, demonstrate a high adversity quotient, and want to contribute to a meaningful climate change solution.
We are seeking to fill this role as soon as possible in a fully on-site capacity, working alongside our technical teams.
- Bachelor's degree in chemical engineering or similar discipline (e.g., chemistry)
- 7-10 years of work or research experience in a similar role
- Ability to take theoretical ideas and turn them into practical solutions
- Strong knowledge of and experience with simulation software and tools (e.g. Aspen Hysis)
- Proficient or expert in Python, VBA, or MATLAB
- Strong background in chemical reaction engineering and absorption processes
- Experience in process development and scale-up
- Experience in data analysis and experimental design
- Strong communication skills and a precise & reliable approach to work
- Experience working at a start-up or fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Advanced degree (e.g., MS, PhD) in relevant disciplines
- 10+ years of work or research experience in relevant environments
- Experience in the design of experiments
- Great at presenting technical data to both technical and non-technical stakeholders
Benefits we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Flexible vacation policy
- Meaningful equity participation
How to apply:
Send us your resume and share a few thoughts with us about how you would contribute at Holocene.
We are seeking to fill this position ASAP and will reach out to you if we believe there’s a mutual fit.
We are an equal-opportunity employer. We celebrate individuals from all backgrounds and firmly believe that our business and team will be stronger with diverse backgrounds, thoughts, ideas, and experiences. If you’re interested in what we’re doing, we’d love to hear from you.