BeZero Carbon is a global ratings agency for the Voluntary Carbon Market. We distribute our ratings via our SaaS Product, BeZero Carbon Markets, informing all market participants on how to price and manage risk. Our ratings and research tools support buyers, intermediaries, investors and carbon project developers.
Founded in April 2020, our 150+ strong team combines climatic and earth sciences, sell-side financial research, earth observation, machine learning, data and technology, engineering, and public policy expertise. We work from four continents.
We raised a significant Series B funding round in late 2022, and are growing rapidly as a company, accelerating the Net-Zero transition through ratings.
BeZero is looking for an exceptional candidate to join our carbon credit ratings team, focusing on the engineered carbon removal sector. The ideal candidate would have an academic background in geochemistry or similar, and be excited by the prospect of applying their academic expertise to real world carbon projects to assess quality. In doing so, they will support our mission of enhancing transparency in the voluntary carbon market, and improving understanding of the engineered carbon removal sector and its role in climate action.
The role will be focused on researching the science and evidence behind engineered carbon removal projects, continuing to build our database of evidence, ratings and content for this nascent sector. The successful candidate will be expected to drive analytical development and sector expertise for geochemical carbon removal methods such as enhanced weathering or ocean alkalinity enhancement, and to lead analysis of carbon projects. It will require interacting with both internal and external stakeholders and consequently, strong written, presentational, and oral communication skills are essential.
- Undertaking qualitative and quantitative analysis for engineered carbon removal credits, under both the ex ante and ex post ratings frameworks
- Evaluating geochemical carbon removal methodologies, measurement and modelling protocols, and projects within our ratings framework
- Expanding and developing our ratings and analytical models for the engineered carbon removal sector
- Curating our literature database
- Teaching others internally about the science of geochemical carbon removal
- Supporting data analysis for the Research team
- Attending conferences and events representing BeZero Carbon
You will be our ideal candidate if:
- You have an academic background with PhD or equivalent, in geochemistry or similar (e.g. planetary sciences, environmental sciences, environmental engineering)
- You have an understanding of geochemical carbon removal processes, such as enhanced weathering or ocean alkalinity enhancement.
- You have strong written communication skills and are able to convey the complexities of this sector to a range of stakeholders, from knowledgeable in the field to novice.
- You can analyse multiple research sources (literature, market reports, databases) and provide succinct analysis to a diverse audience.
- You are interested in the engineered carbon removal sector, an emergent, highly technical and niche sector of the voluntary carbon market.
- You enjoy being a teamplayer and contributing to meaningful work!
Please know that even if you don’t have experience in all the areas above but think you could do a great job and are excited about building a great company culture, bringing transparency to the voluntary carbon market, and being part of a fast-growing team, we would love to hear from you!
What we’ll offer:
- A specialisation in the engineered carbon removal sector within the voluntary carbon market
- Ability to apply your skillset to enhancing transparency and integrity in the voluntary carbon market
- Competitive salary and equity in a rapidly growing VC-backed start-up through share options
- Ability to learn and develop alongside a range of sector specialists from the worlds of science, economics, business, finance and more
- 25 days leave (with additional time off between Christmas and New Year, and for your birthday)
- Benefits package covering private medical insurance, dental, critical illness cover, income protection, life assurance, medical cash plan and cycle to work scheme (or a comparable package if you’re based overseas)
- Health and wellness cash allowance
- Enhanced parental leave
- Regular social events
- Opportunity to work remote or in our Central London office space (Hoxton) with flexibility to work from home 2 days a week
- Nomad working over the summer, allowing you to work from another country
Our interview process:
- Initial screening interview (15 mins)
- Second interview(s) + skills test
- Final interview with senior management
- Reference checks + offer