Mechanical Engineering Intern
The ocean is critical to human and planetary health —but ocean health is in rapid and accelerating decline. We believe that we have the responsibility —and ability —to act.
Running Tide is a global ocean health company. Our fast-growing, multidisciplinary teams of world-class scientists, engineers, and maritime operators, design and implement interventions that rebalance Earth’s carbon cycle, decarbonize global supply chains, restore marine ecosystems, and revitalize coastal communities. Our corporate operations, business development, communications, and policy teams support Running Tide’s front-line workers in scaling our interventions to tackle humanity’s most urgent challenges: restoring ocean health and combating climate change.
We are expanding our verification engineering team and looking for a mechanical engineering intern to help with design, analysis, fabrication and testing. The right person is curious, motivated to solve complex challenges, and driven to create novel ways to reverse climate change.
This position will be onsite in our Portland, ME location for the July-December season. Candidates must be local or willing to relocate for the entire duration of the internship.
- Develop test hardware and execute testing of offshore verification buoys
- Design production tooling and support production of offshore verification buoys
- Develop novel substrate measurement procedures and create experiments to validate results
- Design experiments to characterize materials and process variables across substrate products
You Are (or You Have):
- Experience with 3D CAD software and mechanical design
- Competent using Microsoft Excel for mechanical design hand calcs or data processing
- Comfortable using hand tools and assembling hardware
- Desire to fight climate change
- Experience with 3D printing, sheet metal fabrication or welding
- Experience with Python, VBA, or similar scripting languages
Our teams operate with utmost persistence. We are tackling the world’s most difficult and important problems, and we are unwavering in our motivation to find a solution. At our core, we are innovators driven to do "more good" rather than "less bad" in the world.
Running Tide is committed to building a diverse team, bringing as many possible perspectives to bear on the unprecedented challenges facing our planet. We are committed to building an inclusive environment where people of all backgrounds can come to do their best work.
All offers of employment at Running Tide are contingent upon clear results of a thorough background check.