Position: Lead Research Scientist - Measurement of Enhanced Rock Weathering (ERW) on Global Cropland
Terradot is building the foundation to regenerate the world’s soils to restore ecosystems, ensure abundant food production, and stabilize Earth’s climate for generations to come. We do this by building and implementing high-integrity measurement, reporting, and verification (MRV) platforms for nature based carbon removal and storage solutions. With Stanford’s Soil and Environmental Biogeochemistry Lab, we leverage technological innovation using ground truth sampling, remote sensing, and biogeochemical modeling. We are a public-benefit team driven by passion and purpose in service to our planet, people, and prosperity for all.
Company / Vision:
Terradot aspires to be the world’s role model illustrating how we can transform current land stewardship practices to regenerate and heal the Earth. We are taking meaningful steps to building trusting and effective nature based carbon solutions that will have lasting impacts for thousands of years. Terradot wholeheartedly knows that what we do now can have lasting and profound impacts on generations to come.
Location: In Person / Flexible/ or Remote (with travel to key project regions)
We are seeking a Lead Research Scientist to be a part of our team to make meaningful and purpose driven outcomes in the space of MRV using enhanced rock weathering. This is an opportunity to work and be supported by a team who all share a desire to change the world for future generations using regenerative Ag, soil amendments, and technology. The lead research scientist will play a critical role catalyzing the precise measurement of enhanced rock weathering on global croplands. The primary goal is to investigate and model the potential of ERW to remove a gigaton of CO2 equivalent (CO2e) from the atmosphere in areas with the greatest potential of interest. This is a chance to lead and support a team to illustrate that together we can contribute to the future of wise land stewardship and climate mitigation; ensuring a thriving and healthy planet for all.
Measurement of ERW:
- Design and oversee field experiments to measure the impact of ERW
- Stable isotope data analysis to trace the sources and fates of carbonates and bicarbonates in soil and water systems influenced by ERW.
- Manage field trial and data collection QA/QC globally, specifically Brazil.
Model Calibration and Validation:
- Integrate field measurements into models predicting the long-term implications of ERW on global and regional carbon cycles.
- Lead the calibration, validation, and immersion of reactive transport and Earth Systems models.
- Direct sensitivity analysis to understand the primary determinants influencing ERW outcomes.
- Engage with a network of geochemists, agronomists, and other domain experts to refine ERW measurement methods.
- Coordinate with an interdisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, & agricultural experts to optimize ERW deployment strategies based on accurate measurements.
- Collaborate with an enthusiastic and mission-driven team creating an enriching and supportive environment to meet our shared visions.
- Publish findings in top-tier, peer-reviewed journals, emphasizing the intricate chemistry and isotope dynamics of ERW.
- Represent the organization at international conferences, focusing on the sophisticated measurement techniques utilized in ERW research.
- Disseminate the implications and potential of ERW to diverse audiences through public lectures, media engagements, and educational initiatives.
- PhD in Geochemistry, Isotope Geology, Agronomy, or a related discipline.
- Prior experience in both measuring and modeling ERW is essential.
- Demonstrated leadership in field sampling, laboratory analysis, and data interpretation related to ERW measurements.
- An established track record of publications, especially in the realms of geochemistry and isotope methods.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, with a proven ability to lead and inspire multidisciplinary teams.
- Willingness and ability to travel to key regions for fieldwork and collaborative efforts.
What We Offer:
- Top of market salary and comprehensive benefits package.
- A leadership role in pioneering an innovative climate solution.
- Access to state-of-the-art research tools and a global network of preeminent experts.
To apply, please forward a cover letter explaining your interest and qualifications for the role, a CV, and a list of three professional references. We will consider applications until the position is filled.
We are an inclusive employer and value diversity. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.