Planetary Technologies’ vision is to protect and restore the ocean and climate for generations to come. We do this by enhancing the ocean’s natural ability to fight climate change through carbon dioxide removal and storage. Our team combines expertise in ocean science, metallurgy and geochemistry to safely and effectively scale up ocean-based CO2 management solutions. Working collaboratively with all of our stakeholders, we develop a cost effective and sustainable set of tools aimed at protecting and restoring our oceans and climate, ultimately doing carbon dioxide removal and storage at gigatonne scale.
We are leaders, scientists, and engineers working together to collectively embody our values: respect, curiosity & creativity, accept responsibility, and win for all.
Planetary is seeking a software developer who has a sincere desire to apply their talent and experiences to tackling climate change within a self-managing and mission driven organization and team. Day to day, this person will actively design and develop our Ocean Carbon Platform (OCP) with a cross disciplinary team of scientists, engineers, as well as operational / project team stakeholders. The OCP is a modern greenfield cloud based software product that will connect many of the key pieces that are at the heart of the end-to-end ocean carbon removals crediting system at Planetary.
This role not only delivers value by taking cloud based software solutions to market - but also plays a key role to ensure such solutions are robust, high quality, and reliably enable the verification of carbon credits with 3rd party verifiers at scale. Welcoming talented and experienced developers who care about the planet and who love working with smart people with diverse backgrounds who thrive in product focused mission driven environments.
Engaged team based leader who consistently works proactively to create alignment on defining the future direction and vision of the OCP, including:
- Ability and desire to quickly grasp the domain and work with subject matter experts (e.g. scientists, academics, etc.) to make sense of the domain - (e.g. developing ubiquitous language and using domain driven design)
- Ability and desire to meet “all the needs” of a primary customer while holding technology and business needs in balance - ability to help define and see the big picture as it relates to OCP at all times
- Ability to adapt communication to intended audience, engaged and generative in all interactions - while blending deep technical mastery and expertise with domain expertise and knowledge
Leads the design, development, and deployment of fit for purpose full stack cloud based software platform including:
- ensuring usability, maintainability, testability, security, and performance of such a system
- application of sound engineering and architectural practices and principles
- ability to evaluate and suggest alternative technology solutions to support valuable outcomes
- defining technical test flows and ensuring appropriate test coverage via unit and integration testing
- continuously maintaining code base by qualifying and resolving software flaws
- ability to read, review, understand, and make improvements to existing code base
- College Diploma or University Degree with specialization in software development and engineering or relevant experience
- 5-10 years of relevant professional experience working on medium scale web applications with 2-5 years of experience leading delivery of such applications - either as a sole developer or part of a small team (note: people management experience not required)
- Experienced with modern architectural design patterns (e.g. high availability architecture, reactive systems, etc.)
- Experienced with data science, GCP and/or AWS
- Experienced with relational databases
- Experienced with python
- Experience with agile or lean methodologies as well as demonstrated first hand experience with delivery of successful customer focused software solutions
Nice to haves
- Experienced with building integration between systems
- Advanced analytical and design skills in continuous support of improving quality
- Additional certifications and credentials to show continuous development in core craft
- Experience working with numerical models
- Experience developing products in collaboration with scientists
- Experience implementing software to support custom processes
Planetary is committed to supporting and valuing the diversity of our team as well as the diversity of the clients and communities we serve. Valuing diversity means recognizing and respecting human differences and similarities - creating the context where each person can develop and bring their best self to their work and life. We are committed to employment equity and will endeavour, where feasible, to eliminate systemic barriers to advancement and/or redress the under-utilization of underrepresented groups. We are committed to equal employment and we encourage candidates from all cultural and educational backgrounds as well as all genders and sexualities to apply.