About Mars Materials
Mars Materials (“Mars”) is on a mission to reverse humanity’s industrial carbon footprint. We’re currently commercializing National Renewable Energy Laboratory (“NREL”) developed Intellectual Property that enables us to produce low-cost, low-carbon acrylonitrile (“AN”) using captured CO2 and bio-based feedstocks. AN is a commodity material that’s integral in our daily modern lives. AN’s high-tech use as a precursor for carbon fiber will allow Mars to achieve our vision of decarbonizing current carbon-intensive industries such as steel and aluminum production.
Mars was chartered as a public benefit corporation in 2021 by a group of passionate climate technologists with backgrounds in chemical engineering, research, and cleantech commercialization. Mars is working to create a future where using our technologies is a cheaper alternative to today’s standard CO2-generating processes.
Our business centers on greenhouse gas removal. Whether that’s CH4 or CO2, the Mars team develops and markets technology solutions that enable gigaton-scale greenhouse gas utilization. Currently, process economics are unfavorable for carbon-negative processes, but attitudes and incentives are beginning to shift to a favorable direction for CO2 utilization. Now is the time to accelerate the transition away from fossil fuels. Mars has the technology to kickstart this transition. Today, we’re seeking new team members to help us rapidly scale up our CO2-to-Acrylonitrile process.
About the Role
As Engineering Manager, you’ll play a foundational role in pilot unit development and technology partnership initiatives of Mars. You’ll report directly to the CEO and founders.
Some Duties You’ll Champion
- Maintain technology roadmap and assist in contingency planning to keep scale-up plans on track
- Work hands-on with Mars’ pilot unit
- Oversee and manage core engineering projects including, but not limited to, piloting and equipment procurement
- Support the engineering team in the development and implementation of Mars’ pilot facility
- Manage and conduct technical reviews and audits
- Coordinate activities with Environmental Health and Safety (EH&S) experts to ensure safe operating zones for Mars’ engineers
- Oversee HAZOP and risk-assessment procedures
- Review with the engineering team
- Oversee day-to-day engineering operations, including providing technology project management to ensure goals are met
- Draft scopes of work (SOWs) for contract work between Mars and external partners
- Assist in building out the technical team as the company grows
- Advise the engineering team on scale-up direction
- Create and maintain documentation systems as required, for example, EHS documents, engineering drawings, data archives
If you’ve managed an engineering-related research lab or led technology scale-up and development for high CAPEX chemical manufacturing facilities for three (3) plus years and you are passionate about developing carbon-free industrial processes, we’re interested in hearing from you.
Additional experiences that’ll propel your success:
You’re a problem solver with demonstrated ability:
- Striking a balance between being scrappy, entrepreneurial, quick, and high-level systems thinking while also being quantitative, diligent, detail-oriented and clear at communicating
- Working with a diverse set of stakeholders, including technology partners and industrial partners
You’re organized with demonstrated ability:
- Building consensus
- Developing and implementing technical project management frameworks
- Interfacing with external project partners
You’re passionate about tackling the climate crisis
Why Join Us?
We’re a small team with absolute respect for each other and our differences. Currently, we’re recruiting team members committed to helping us grow our values and further promote diversity, equity and inclusion. If our mission excites you, we invite you to explore opportunities with us. No matter your gender, gender identity, race, age, beliefs, sexual orientation, or disabilities, if you have a passion for saving our planet and tackling big problems then we'd love to have you on the team.