ABOUT THE ROLE
Deep Science Ventures (DSV) is a science venture builder - we build new science start-ups and recruit impact-driven individuals with specific skill sets to become Founders.
Photosynthesis and organic materials are key components of the global carbon cycle, concentrating atmospheric CO2 into a range of materials vital for human need, from the food we eat and medicines we take through to chemicals and materials we use for industry. Yet, upon decomposition these materials society produces, re-release greenhouse gases such as CO2, methane and nitrous oxides, currently representing 10 % of all human emissions. In addition, organic wastes often represent a significant source of environmental pollution including endocrine disruptors, microplastics and excess nutrients.
Rethinking organic waste as feedstock for energy vectors, materials or carbon storage, for example in the form of biogas, biochar or chemical building blocks is highly desirable. Yet, Gt’s of organic waste are too wet, too complex or too contaminated to be used in current conversion processes. In essence, key technological innovation is required in order to solve this problem - likely either through expanding the reach of microbial digestion techniques or artificial processing such as through hydrothermal techniques to accelerate and control the breakdown of wet waste.
We developed a new hydrothermal process design that solves essential constraints around clogging, corrosion, high material cost and poor energy recovery. It will allow the breakdown of complex wet waste within seconds, while capturing the released CO2 and recovering minerals and waste heat. To further develop the concept we will need your chemical/process engineering experience to compliment Dan’s strong entrepreneurial, biotechnology and waste treatment background.
Deep Science Ventures is creating a future in which both humans and the planet can thrive.
We use our unique venture creation process to create, spin-out and invest into science companies, combining available scientific knowledge and founder-type scientists into high-impact ventures.
We operate in 4 sectors: Pharmaceuticals, Climate, Agriculture and Computation, tackling the challenges defining those areas by taking a first principles approach and partnering with leading institutions.
- We are looking for someone with an entrepreneurial mindset and ideally has experience in startups or “intrapreneurial” activities and who is innovative, ambitious, and highly motivated
- You must have a PhD or an equivalent high-level of technological expertise in chemistry, chemical engineering and process engineering
- We are especially interested in candidates with experience in developing high pressure and thermal biomass conversion processes from concept to final design, build and installation
- Ideally you have as much confidence working on site with a spanner, as in the lab with samples and from the desk. We are looking for confidence and ability to work both independently and as part of a team (and eventually leading one)
- Experience in project management, R&D management, subcontractor management and the management of sites (including health and safety) is a plus
- Entrepreneurial “back office” skills such as sales experience, contract development, relationship building, presenting, and representing the company at events, bid writing and fundraising, reporting to the team is a plus
- A laid-back, honest, and positive personality who is willing to learn, grow and take on new responsibilities as the company grows and will actively engage in discussions and contribute thoughts and ideas. You are a good communicator.
By joining DSV, you’ll be joining a team of operators who have founded companies and led translation of science at some of the most respected universities, charities, funds and government agencies. 2/3 of the team have founded or led a company at C-suite and 65% have a PhD. Our team dedicate several hours every week to each Founder or founding team to provide tailored guidance, resources and feedback covering every aspect of what it takes to successfully launch a new venture from both the tech and commercial perspectives:
- We provide optimised, purpose-built, proprietary tools, resources and processes to help create high-impact ventures from scratch, using our venture creation methodology. Read more about one of our key tools here.
- We draw on opportunity area specific know-how provided by our network of Partners and Advisors;
- We provide £250k investment governed by our Investment Committee to incorporate the new venture and develop early proof-of-concept data that’s needed to attract high profile non-venture studio VCs. This funding is also key to get grant funding, which most often needs to be matched with private investment;
- We provide guaranteed income of £4,166 per month paid to each Founder in Residence as a consultancy fee until the company is launched and the pre-seed investment is secured;
- You and your co-founders will own a majority equity stake in the company;
- Co-Founder: you will be joining Dr Dan Murray as a co-founder using your engineering experience to support with de-risking and building a global venture targeting the abatement of CO2. Dr Dan Murray is a multi-award-winning scientist with more than 10 years industrial R&D experience working on environmental biotechnology and wastewater treatment and is a UK authority on industrial uses of microalgae. He has a PhD in water science and microbiology from Cranfield University along with a Masters in environmental science and BSc in marine and freshwater biology from Essex University. He also has extensive entrepreneurial experience with more than 10 years’ experience working in and consulting with JVs and startups, including as Founder and was voted one of SETsquared (global #1 university incubator) top 50 entrepreneurs;
- We provide continuous support after post spin-out, including fundraising, commercial partnerships, recruitment and team-building (amongst other things); plus
- There are dozens of Founders currently at DSV across sectors working collaboratively and supporting one another - a unique resource to draw on.