BeZero Carbon is a global ratings agency for the Voluntary Carbon Market. Our ratings allow all market participants to price and manage risk. BeZero’s ratings and research tools support buyers, intermediaries, investors, and carbon project developers.
Founded in April 2020, our 120+-strong team combines climatic and earth sciences, sell-side financial research, earth observation, machine learning, data and technology, engineering, and public policy expertise. We work from five continents.
Background on the role:
BeZero Carbon is looking for an Engineering Manager to join our Data organisation. The team sits at the heart of the business, working across our ratings, product, and technology teams. It’s a multi-disciplinary team of data analysts, data engineers, and data scientists working on a variety of use-cases. Some of the projects the team is focussed on right now are:
- Developing geospatial data products like our dynamic baselines data product that applies advanced computational statistical techniques to create a synthetic control region for carbon offset projects.
- Scaling up our central data platform and internal tools that allow analysts and researchers to access the (geospatial) data and analytics they need for their work.
- Building data products for the voluntary carbon market with external partners.
We have grown our data engineering & science teams quickly over the past year and are now looking for an Engineering Manager to help us execute on our vision for data and engineering at BeZero. As an Engineering Manager in our group, you will be responsible for the technical management of some of our most important workstreams. You will work closely with our internal stakeholders in our ratings and product teams to define and scope new projects. You will also work closely with our Chief Data Officer and Chief Technology Officer to shape our overall data and engineering strategy: This includes collaborating with data engineers to select appropriate tools and data architecture components, as well as establishing engineering processes such as design documents and Architecture Decision Records (ADRs). This is a management role with no expectation of coding; however, we value candidates who have a coding background and can provide meaningful technical input on design decisions.
As our team continues to expand, this role may evolve to encompass responsibilities across the Data and Product Engineering teams.
- Provide support to your team(s) by helping them understand priorities and enabling them to ignore distractions and non-productive influences.
- Ensure timely delivery of technical solutions to address business needs.
- Foster a healthy and collaborative engineering culture, advocating for and advancing modern engineering practices and organizational excellence.
- Provide technical guidance in various aspects of data engineering including data modelling, data products, and our data stack.
- Collaborate closely with counterparts in other disciplines as part of a cross-functional team and nurture a culture of collaboration within your own team.
Collaborate with the Chief Data Officer (CDO) and Chief Technology Officer (CTO) to ensure that the teams adhere to best practices and align with the firm's strategy for infrastructure, security, and resiliency goals.
You’ll be our ideal candidate if:
- You care deeply about the climate and carbon markets and are excited by solutions for decarbonising our economy.
- You have at least two years of working experience as an engineering manager, ideally working on data-intensive applications.
- You are comfortable with the nuts and bolts of both data engineering and data science. You have some experience with the design of software systems, data structures, and algorithms.
- You are impact driven and have demonstrated success influencing the business by establishing roadmaps and vision for new and existing areas. You are skilled at operating in a complex, cross-functional organization or company where collaboration and integration with other teams across multiple disciplines is essential to the success of your team.
- You care about execution and feature velocity. You hold yourself personally accountable, jumping in and taking ownership of problems that might not even be in your team's scope.
- You have exceptional communication skills, especially when partnering with engineering & business stakeholders to drive impact and shape strategy. A successful candidate for this role can pivot and tailor their communications based on the audience and their needs.
Bonus points (but we would still like to hear from you if you do not have experience in any of these)
- You have worked as a senior data or software engineer before.
- You have a good understanding of data platforms and architecture.
- Experience with projects incorporating machine learning models a plus.
- Experience with a variety of development methodologies (Kanban, XP, etc), and an ability to take the best aspects of each to help our teams deliver, a plus.
What we’ll offer:
- Competitive salary and opportunity for equity in a rapidly growing VC-backed start-up through share options
- Ability to learn and develop alongside a range of sector specialists from the scientific, economic and business community
- Opportunity to work in a cross-cutting role, interacting with lots of different parts of the business
- Growth opportunities that come from working at a fast-paced VC-backed technology business
- Opportunity to work remote or in our East London office space (Hoxton) with flexibility to work from home + some flexibility over working location during the summer
- Regular social events
- 25 days leave (with additional time off between Christmas and New Year, and for your birthday)
- Private medical insurance, dental, critical illness cover, income protection, life assurance, medical cash plan, cycle to work scheme, and a health and wellness cash allowance
We value diversity at BeZero Carbon. We need a team that brings different perspectives and backgrounds together to build the tools needed to make the voluntary carbon market transparent. We’re therefore committed to not discriminate based on race, religion, colour, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, veteran status, age, or disability.